I have been whining about my mop for a good long while, with very good reason too, and finally I managed to find time to let an expert whip something better out of it.
I had been approached by Headlines Hairdressing towards the end of last year but unfortunately I was in my confinement period and had a bigger (yet smaller in size) worry than the state my hair was in.
After what has seemed like a long while of adapting to life and eventually fretting about self maintanence, I swung by the salon and let them work their professional magic on my, affectionately nicknamed, mop.
Incase you haven't seen enough of the sorry out-grown stage, here it is for the last time!
My appointed hair stylist is Jerry, who has a great idea about what a good and suitable hairstyle is all about.
All hair stylist have gone through training so, what do I mean by that?
Well, in my own terms I do love the bright and bolds. I don't deny that they are beautiful, unique (or used to be), and definitely bring out a vibrant / striking change. Though the basis of a good hair stylist, I feel, is one who is able to properly recommend a hairstyle and color that enhances your features or is able to best adapt and recommend a style to fit your lifestyle or any other concerns.
With that said, the goal of this 'makeover' is to refresh my hair and suit the whole fuss-free aspect that I require right now, hence don't expect something overly whacky or a bold splash of bleach / color with this one.
Here is the pre-snip analysis where Jerry examined my hair and had a quick chat about what I wanted or needed my hair to be like.
What we have derived post-analysis is:
- I wanted to chop my hair down - I wanted a shorter do so it is easier to manage and also because baby kept tugging on my long hair. That coupled with post-pregnancy hairfall is quite a nightmare.
- I wanted a fuss-free hairstyle - short hair sometimes require more effort in styling and managing and I didn't have time for that.
- I needed a refreshed look and coat of color - my outgrown hair color and faded tones gave my hair a brassy and unhealthy look so I was seeking to refresh that.
Basically, I wanted it short, fuss-free yet still looking good with minimal maintenance. That was the gist of it, so this happened!
While I could write an essay about what happened, I figured that I would let pictures do the talking first and elaborate after for those interested to know.
Hair layering and trimming in progress.
Now, on to fixing that overgrown brassiness.
So, after that series of photos, here's a step by step rundown of what Jerry did to my hair if you are interested!
- My hair was first chopped and then layered at a strategic length such that it minimizes the 'curling all over the place' effect that short hair brings.
- Jerry kept the layers long so it doesn't get too unmanageable, yet short enough to give the hair some volume.
- He then proceeded to add 3 different shades / tones to my hair
- The first thing he did was to add some highlights, a great way of giving the hair lift without having to bleach the entire head or bleach very extensively.
- Next he used a darker ash-black/brown shade on the crown of my head as my post-pregnancy hairfall has thinned that area a little so the darker shade gives the illusion of volume (and highlights prevent it from being 'flat').
- Lastly he mixed a subtlely lighter ash-black/brown for the bottom portions so the whole look doesn't seem too heavy or flat.
What happens after? Well, we wait....
p.s. if you notice the base of my scalp, the ash-brown/black shade that Jerry used has a blue-tone and if you have bleached-blond hair, this would be a gorgeous ash-blue. Sounds intriguing!
Now, while it sounds like a lot of steps and procedures above, you may look at the final result and go... All that for this?
Yet, like the no-makeup makeup look, it is easy to throw on bright splashes and tone (skill is still required, yes) but making something look completely natural and put together while appearing like no effort was done is sometimes quite a tricky and long procedure.
So what is the final outcome after close to 3 hours in Headlines Hairdressing?
Here's the final look!
Under in-door lighting the shade looks like an almost-black yet under sunlight or certain other lightings, you would be able to see the brownish tone and shades of ash.
While the highlights on the crown are of a more golden tone, the highlights towards the bottom are an ashier shade.
Hope you do not mind the spam of self shots but here is how it looks in daylight!
The ashy highlights at the bottom are most obvious in these shots:
Having short hair was never a preferred option of mine yet due to the ease of it now (post-preg hair fall & baby's pulling habits), I took the plunge to chop my locks off.
Though I am glad to say that somehow Jerry had worked his magic and made me accept and even like the shorter do that I currently have.
Unlike the short styles I have had before, I feel this honestly compliments my face and is extremely fuss-free. I could spam you with more photos of my hair but I think you will see them in due time with LOTDs and also swatch images.
In all, I think having an expert opinion on cut / color and style does make a huge difference and I am glad for this long-term sponsorship from Headlines Hairdressing! You will hear a little more of them here and there over the course of the year and I think my hair is quite glad for all this attention after that long period of neglect.
If you would like to refresh your hairstyle and have no idea what you would like, leave your hair in the hands of Jerry, I assure you he will not disappoint!
A little trivia, Headlines Hairdressing are best known for their hair perming, straightening and treatment services though I have not tried those yet to offer an insight.
Monday - Friday 10.30am - 8.30pm
Saturday 10.30am - 7pm
Sunday & Public Holidays 10.30am - 5pm
Jerry is personally off on Thursdays.
Do call +65 6221 6866 to book an appointment as their schedule can be quite packed!
Also, check out their Facebook Page for more of their 'works'!
Quote 'SARA' at the salon for a 15% discount!
*not applicable for promotions
I don't want to go on forever but yes I do love the refreshed look.
Thanks for reading and do share your thoughts, short hair on me – yay, nay?
Services provided are courtesy of Headlines Hairdressing for review / sharing purposes.
I am not affiliated to them and all opinions expressed are my own.